Application Process To Teach In Korea

  1. Submit your application on the Aclipse Website.  
  2. One of our experienced recruiters will review your application and if there is a good fit they will be in touch to schedule an interview.
  3. Perform your interview by phone or Skype. The interview is approximately 30-40 minutes long. 
  4. If your interview is successful you’ll fill out some forms and create an introduction video for your recruiter to submit to the school.  Make sure to follow these instructions prior to making your video.
  5. If the school likes you they will make an offer and your recruiter will email you the details. 
  6. You accept the offer and begin collecting the required documents.
  7. Once you have obtained the required documents the school will confirm your placement and issue the final contract.
  8. You accept the contract and the school applies for your visa code through Korean immigration.
  9. Once your visa code is issued you apply for your visa at the nearest Korean consulate.
  10. After you receive your passport back with your visa affixed you’ll book your flight to Korea.
  11. Travel to Korea to begin your teach abroad adventure!

If You Have Any Questions You Can Contact Us


Take the First Step

Aclipse connects you with the best teaching jobs in South Korea and China.  Follow the steps below to get started. 

Apply Online

Submit your online application.


You must meet certain requirements to qualify for a work visa to teach.

Application Questions?

If you have any questions, before getting started, submit your question below. 


Join Our Community!

* indicates required

Visa Requirements To Teach In Korea

To be eligible to teach in Korea you need:

  • Citizenship from the US, the UK, Canada, Ireland, Australia, South Africa, or New Zealand
  • 10 years of education in one of the countries listed above (from grade 7 onward)
  • A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
  • A national background check with no charges from your country of citizenship
  • Commitment to a one-year contract

Required Visa Documents

Below is the list of the documents needed to obtain a visa to teach in Korea.  Your name on all of your documents must match exactly the name that is on your passport.  Make and keep copies of each of these documents for your own records as they cannot be returned once submitted. 

  • One apostilled national criminal background check (Korean consulate certified for Canadians).
  • One apostilled photocopy of a Bachelor’s diploma (Korean consulate certified for Canadians).
  • A Latin degree translation if your diploma is written in Latin. If your diploma is not written in Latin you do not need to do this.
  • Two passport photos if you are an E2 visa candidate.  
  • A copy of your passport.  Make sure it is valid through the year you would be teaching in Korea.
  • The Korean immigration issued health statement (this form will be provided to you by the recruiter).
  • A letter of graduation OR a transcript from your university that confirms your degree and date of graduation

You can also get advice from former teachers who have already recently gone through the process from their respective countries. Click on the links below for first hand experiences by country of origin. 

Document Information

Please utilize the links under the Document Information tab to get all the information you will need regarding how to properly obtain your visa documents to teach in South Korea.  We have provided step-by-step procedures on how to go about getting your documents, along with sharing examples of what the documents should look like based on the country you are a citizen of.  If you have any questions please contact your assigned recruiter.  Also, we encourage all candidates to scan and email their recruiter a copy of all your visa documents once you obtain them to ensure they were done correctly before you mail them to the Aclipse office. 

Apostille And Authentication Procedures

United States Citizens usaflag

Canadian Citizens cadflag

What is an Apostille?

Certain documents intended for use abroad (such as birth certificates, marriage certificates,
criminal checks, adoption papers, etc.) require authentication to ensure they are legitimate in the
country in which they are to be used. The government provides this authentication in the form of an apostille. Citizens of countries that are party to the Hague Convention must submit documents, namely criminal background checks (CBCs) and diploma photocopies, with apostille authentication. Without an apostille affixed to these documents, a visa cannot be issued.

Visit Travel.State.Gov for more information on the Apostille and Hague Treaty.

NB: As Canada is not a party to The Hague convention Canadians must provide authentication by having the documents notarized (by a public notary) and then certified (stamped) by the Korean consulate. See below for more details.

How do I get the Apostille for my diploma photocopy?

Pay the $55 apostille fee here. Then provide a high quality scan of your diploma to your recruiter

How do I get the Apostille for my FBI CBC?

As the FBI issued CBC is a federal document it needs to be apostilled at the federal level. There are two ways to do this. You can mail the CBC yourself to the US Department of State to apply for the apostille. This costs $8 per document, but could take as long as six weeks to process and has in the past resulted in start date delays. More information can be found here: If you decide to do this, we highly recommend checking with the State Department for their current processing time.

In order to expedite the process, Aclipse has partnered with a company called Monument Visa to expedite this process. If you do this, pay the $55 apostille fee here. Then send the electronic file of your FBI CBC to your recruiter.

Canadian Document Instructions

** New procedure effective from January 11, 2024

1. Apostille RCMP – must have photo and fingerprints


A. Order your RCMP Check: OR

** It must have your fingerprints AND photo on it. Your name must match EXACTLY your passport name.

B. Apostille your RCMP check: 

Have your original RCMP check notarized by a public notary, then have it apostilled by your Provincial Government Authentication Office (go in person if possible and have it done the same day).

Ontario Authentication | BC Authentication | Alberta Authentication | Manitoba Authentication

** Double check policies before visiting or mailing your documents. You may be able to submit the original (not notarized) or you may need to submit a notarized copy of your RCMP report.

2. Apostille Degree


A. Notarize a copy of your degree:

Take your original degree to a public notary, or lawyer with a notary license, and request a ‘Notarized Copy’. The lawyer/notary will make a photocopy of your degree, sign and stamp the copy with a seal.

B. Apostille your notarized degree copy:

Have the notarized photocopy of your degree apostilled by your Provincial Governments Authentication Office (go in person and have it done the same day with your RCMP report).

Ontario Authentication | BC Authentication | Alberta Authentication | Manitoba Authentication

** To save time and money, plan to have the Notarized Copy of your Degree, and your RCMP Check, apostilled at the same time.

Korean Consulates In Canada

Other E2 Citizens:

Obtaining an apostille in your home country is very similar to the procedures in the US.

UK citizens visit:

Australian citizens visit:

South African citizens visit:

Irish citizens visit:

New Zealand citizens visit:

Apostille For Your FBI Background Check And Diploma

To ensure timely and hassle-free authentication of your FBI criminal background check and/or diploma, Aclipse offers services to obtain your apostilles without delay and ensure your visa documents are ready as soon as possible!

Aclipse has partnered with Monument Visas (MV) in Fairfax, VA. An MV staff member will personally take your FBI criminal background check or diploma to the local Washington DC Secretary of State office to receive the apostille immediately. Each apostille costs $55 and this fee will ensure that your apostille will be returned to Aclipse without delay. Pay the fee online ($110 for both apostilles) using the paypal link below:​

Once you’ve made payment, send an electronic copy of your CBC and/or diploma to your recruiter who will confirm the information as well as quality of the diploma scan. 

Criminal Background Check Procedures

All foreign citizens who wish to teach English in Korea must obtain and submit one original national criminal background check authenticated with an apostille (or, in the case of Canada, certified by the Korean consulate).

Below are the instructions and information on how to obtain a criminal background check for citizens of the US, Canada, and other E2 visa countries. If you need further assistance, please contact your Aclipse recruiter.


United States 2653bd5d8205917

Canada 808725d396c4f93

Britain And Wales​ c79e57bc77e1a97

Scotland 527ce7d2d43c2c2

Ireland 490c7182697cc09

New Zealand 9d0ff24f6ae542f

South Africa 9849f4aa08fa066

Australia 6440ddc1fb62cdc

US citizens have two options when applying for an FBI background check, (1) applying directly through the FBI or (2) using FBI channeler services. We highly recommend using an FBI approved channelerWhile the cost can be higher going through a channeler, processing time for Option 1 can be as high as 14 weeks, causing difficulties with departure timing.

When choosing a channeler, please make sure that their CBCs have not had issues being apostilled by the US State Department. Some CBCs have been rejected by the US State Department for apostilling, which means they cannot be submitted to Korean immigration or the MOE. The channelers we have featured below have confirmed with Aclipse that their CBCs are currently being apostilled without issue.  We recommend using the first channeler, National Background Check, as they can email you an electronic copy of your CBC, which will decrease the amount of time for you to receive it. If you select this option however, you can only access your CBC for 24 hours upon receiving the email.  It is for this reason we encourage you to print out a copy, along with saving it on your computer, as soon as you receive it. 

Please inform your Aclipse recruiter once you have submitted the CBC request. It is ideal if you can find out from the channeler when your CBC will be issued. This is so that we can predict when your CBC will be ready for visa processing and teaching start dates. Once Aclipse receives the CBC, we will send it to a service in Washington DC to get an expedited apostille. The cost for the service is $55.00. Payment can be made on the Aclipse website if you wish to use our services. If you do not wish to use this service, you will then need to mail your CBC to the US Department of State to have them apostilled. Please see the Apostille Instructions document for more information and contact your Aclipse recruiter with any concerns about timing as the State Department can take much longer.


Channelers (Please note that Aclipse is not able to confirm procedures for particular channelers.)

National Background Check, Inc. (877) 932-2435
National Credit Reporting (800) 441-1661

Please visit this page to find the list of Korean Consulates and their locations to ensure your visa documents meet the requirements for the visa application.  Please make sure you refer to the consulate website that services your jurisdiction. 

To obtain your criminal check please visit for full instructions. Please note that only fingerprint RCMP checks will be accepted by Korean immigration. Once your check has been issued it’ll need to be certified by a Korean consulate.  Make sure your CBC has both your fingerprints and photo on it. Please review the instructions for certifying the documents at the link above.

Citizens of Britain and Wales have to apply for a DBS  The check also takes 14 days and cost around 25 pounds.
It is on their website at the link above, but to apply you will need the following:
  • all your addresses for the last 5 years and the dates you lived there
  • your National Insurance number
  • a debit or credit card
  • proof of your identity, for example a passport, valid driving licence or birth certificate (if you haven’t used GOV.UK, verify before)

Citizens from Scotland must submit an apostilled copy of a Basic Disclosure. This copy must have been issued within the last 6 months. The process takes at least 14 days so please apply for it ASAP!

Step 1: You can apply online, if your current address is in the UK and if you have been living at this address for at least twelve months.

– Apply Online: – If you do not satisfy the above criteria, you will have to apply using a paper application form. The fee for a Basic Disclosure is £23. You will need to pay using a credit or debit card. All major cards are accepted. This will appear as BT Disclosure Scotland on your account statement. Please have your card details handy before you proceed. You will need the following information/documents on hand to fill out the online application:

  • Passport*
  • Driving Licence*
  • National Insurance Number*
  • Electricity Bill
  • Previous Disclosure
  • Address details covering at least the last five years
  • Employer’s address if your Disclosure is to be sent there
  • Credit or debit card
You must be able to provide at least one of the following: Passport Number, Driving Licence Number or National Insurance Number.  
Step 2: Please send COPIES of the following:
  • A utility bill (e.g. gas, electricity or telephone) or another document issued by a government dept. or your local authority which confirms your current address, and
  • Either your passport, driving licence or birth certificate which confirms date of birth details.
You can email, fax or post the COPIES of these documents to Disclosure Scotland, see contact details below. Please do NOT post the original documents. When sending your supporting documents please ensure that you quote the 16-digit reference provided at the end of the online application process. Disclosure Scotland is unable to process your application until these supporting documents are received. Send the copies via:
  • Email –
  • Fax – 0870 609 6996
  • Post – Disclosure Scotland, Basic EHU, PO Box 250, Glasgow, G51 1YU
If you want to check on the status of your application, you can contact:
  • By phone – on 0870 609 6006
  • By email – to

Irish citizens can apply for a criminal background check by clicking the link below:


New Zealand citizens can apply for a criminal background check by clicking the link below:


South African citizens can apply for a criminal background check by clicking the link below:


Australian citizens can apply for a criminal background check by clicking the link below:


Document Examples

Click the links below to see document examples of what they should look like for each country. Please make sure all your documents have the same name as your passport. That means if your passport has your first, middle and last name all your documents should have that as well. If your diploma for instance just has your middle initial, or doesn’t have either an initial or middle name, you will need to obtain a letter from your university to confirm that you are the same person that your passport identifies you as. 

United States 2653bd5d8205917

Canada 808725d396c4f93

United Kingdom c79e57bc77e1a97

South Africa 9849f4aa08fa066

Australia 6440ddc1fb62cdc

New Zealand 9d0ff24f6ae542f

Ireland 490c7182697cc09

United States Document Examples


The following are examples of what a criminal background check, an apostille for your background check, a notarized diploma and an apostille for a diploma looks like. Please make sure the name on your diploma and criminal background check matches the name on your passport.


Criminal Background Check

* Depending on where you get your CBC from it maybe white or blue.

Criminal Background Check Apostille

Notarized Diploma

* Your diploma must be notarized and apostilled in the same state.

Diploma Apostille

* Each state has a different apostille cover sheet, but make sure the cover sheet says "Apostille" on it.

Canadian Document Examples


The following are examples of what a certified criminal background check and a certified diploma look like. Please make sure the name on your diploma and criminal background check matches the name on your passport.

Certified Criminal Background Check

Certified Diploma

United Kingdom Document Examples


The following are examples of what a criminal background check, an apostille for a background check, a notarized diploma and an apostille for a diploma looks like. Please make sure the name on your diploma and criminal background check matches the name on your passport.

Criminal Background Check for Britain and Wales

Criminal Background Check for Scotland

Criminal Background Check Apostille

* This is usually located on the back of your CBC.

Notarized Diploma

Diploma Apostille

South African Document Examples


The following are examples of what a criminal background check, an apostille for a background check, a notarized diploma and an apostille for a diploma looks like. Please make sure the name on your diploma and criminal background check matches the name on your passport.

Notarized Criminal Background Check

Criminal Background Check Apostille

* The apostille for the diploma looks the same.

Notarized Diploma

Australia Document Examples


The following are examples of what a criminal background check, an apostille for a background check, a notarized diploma and an apostille for a diploma looks like. Please make sure the name on your diploma and criminal background check matches the name on your passport.

Apostilled Criminal Background Check

Notarized Diploma

Diploma Apostille

* The apostille is usually put on the back of the diploma.

New Zealand Document Examples


The following are examples of what a criminal background check and an apostille for a background check and a notarized diploma look like. Please make sure the name on your diploma and criminal background check matches the name on your passport.

Criminal Background Check

Apostille for a Criminal Background Check and a Notarized Diploma

Irish Document Examples


The following are examples of what a criminal background check, a cover sheet for a notarized diploma and an apostille for a notarized diploma and a criminal background check look like. Please make sure the name on your diploma and criminal background check matches the name on your passport.

Criminal Background Check

Notarized Cover Sheet for Diploma


* The apostille is usually put on the back of the diploma and criminal background check.

Secretary Of State Offices

Secretary of State Offices in the U.S.

Below is the contact information for the Secretary of State offices for all 50 states in the U.S..  You will need to either mail in your diploma, or visit in person, the Secretary of State office in your home state to get your diploma apostilled.  If you are on a tight timeline and wish to get your diploma apostilled in person, the websites have a list of all the offices you can visit.  Finally, make sure you get your diploma apostilled in the same state that it was notarized in. 

To get your criminal background check apostilled, you can either use Aclipse’s services or you can send in your CBC directly to the U.S. Department of State

* All costs mentioned below are the cost to have one diploma apostilled. If you need to have your document expedited due to timing you may have to pay a larger fee.

Korean Consulates And Embassies

Korean Consulates in America

Korean Consulates in Canada

Korean Consulates in United Kingdom

Korean Consulates in Ireland

Korean Consulates in Australia

Korean Consulates in New Zealand​

Korean Consulates in South Africa

Visas for Ethnic Koreans

Figuring out which visa you are eligible for can be confusing. We hope that this document helps clear up confusion regarding visa and citizenship status for applicants of Korean descent. Please note that you should confirm everything with the Korean consulate and know that there can be special cases which will require a different procedure or documentation.

There are three typical situations for teachers of Korean descent teaching in South

  • Dual citizenship while working on a Korean passport
  • The F4 visa (most common scenario)
  • The E2 visa (least common scenario).

Your first step is to contact your nearest South Korean consulate and explain that your family is from South Korea and that you want to teach in Korea. Teachers whose families are from South Korea have to work with a Korean consulate to determine eligibility.  Please keep in mind that you will not be able to choose which visa you get. The Korean government determines this and if this is not worked out and the required paperwork processed, you will not be able to teach in South Korea.

Korean Citizenship

Occasionally, when someone contacts the consulate, he or she learns that they are still a Korean citizen. That is, they have dual citizenship. You can teach ESL in South
Korea with Korean citizenship. If you have Korean citizenship, you will need to apply for a Korean passport and I.D. number. You can do this through your nearest Korean consulate. In most cases, it takes a few weeks. If this is the case, please inform your Aclipse recruiter as paperwork necessary to submit for ChungDahm will be slightly different. **If you are male, then you will need to obtain a military exemption to avoid conscription.

F4 Visa

The F4 visa is for Koreans who are citizens of the country they immigrated to, as well as their descendants. If your father has renounced his Korean citizenship and was a
citizen of your current country (at the time of your birth), you are likely eligible for the F4 visa. Before applying for the visa, you will need to fill out a Korean nationality renunciation and submit it to the Korean consulate. You can then apply for the F4 visa. You will need to submit:


  • Your passport
  • A completed F4 visa application with passport photo attached
  • Documents proving Korean origin (Korean family registry, birth certificate, etc.)
  • Document proving completion of Korean nationality renunciation report
  • Any other documents required for your case (confirm with consulate)

Please note that if you were adopted from South Korea, papers proving your adoption can usually be submitted in place of some of the documents above.

E2 Visa

In rare cases, you may find out that you will need to get the E2 visa. If the consulate advises you to do so, you will need to submit the following along with your visa paperwork to Aclipse:

  • Your birth certificate
  •  Your father’s citizenship papers
  •  Proof of father/child relationship

Please note that if your father became a citizen of the country of immigration after your birth, you are not eligible for the E2 visa and will need to get either the F4 or Korean citizenship.

Finally, please keep in mind that we understand this can be very confusing and some people get conflicting information. If you are told anything that contradicts the information here, please let your Aclipse recruiter know. Requirements can change at the discretion of the Korean government and there may be special situations that we have not encountered before.